On Friday 27 November 2009 15:53:41 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 27 November 2009 17:27:30 James wrote:
> > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > Hmm, I thought that kweather, kate and kfloppy were brought in by some
> > > meta or other.  It seems that I'll have to install these on their own?
> >
> > Hello Mick,
> >
> > I'm just not certain any more exactly which packages belong to
> > which meta(kde) package. I think they are added and dropped
> > over the last few years, resulting in a dynamic grouping
> > or like those you mentioned, not being picked up by and of the
> > kde-meta packages.
>
> You fellows really need to read the full set of portage man pages. You
>  sound like mechanics that don't know how spanners work.

I'm sure there's a spanner thrown somewhere in the works ...

> The contents of packages is determined by upstream (KDE), not by the gentoo
> devs. Gentoo devs merely split the monolithic tarballs up into whatever
>  apps the KDE devs say is inside it
>
> To find out what is in a -meta package:
>
> cat $PORTDIR/kde-base/*-meta/*ebuild
>
> There isn't a special tool to do this, much as there isn't a tool to tell
>  you what stuff DEPENDs on say apache. There is a general tool, it's
> equery depends -a
[snip ...]

> To find out what depends on kate, kweather and kfloppy, use the correct
> portage tool:
>
> a...@nazgul ~ $ equery depends -a kate
>  * Searching for kate ...
> kde-base/kdesdk-meta-4.3.1 (>=kde-base/kate-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])
> kde-base/kdesdk-meta-4.3.3 (!kdeprefix ? >=kde-base/kate-4.3.3[-kdeprefix])
>                            (kdeprefix ?
>  >=kde-base/kate-4.3.3:4.3[kdeprefix])

OK, but I am getting this much - slightly different to yours above:

# equery depends -a kate
[ Searching for packages depending on kate... ]
kde-base/kde-meta-4.3.1 (>=kde-base/kate-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])
kde-base/kdesdk-meta-4.3.1 (>=kde-base/kate-4.3.1:4.3[kdeprefix=])

Now, fair enough, I do not have kde-base/kde-meta installed, so nothing wants
to pull back in kate when I update world.

> > Let me know if you find a silver bullet (syntax) for discerning
> > what kde packages are grouped into which meta package or
> > not grouped at all..
>
> This is Unix. We use grep, sed and awk to find stuff.
>
> Much faster than just about anything else...

Right, but only if your regex-fu is good enough.  Mine is rather pathetic ...
:-(

Grateful for all help received to pick up the right spanner.  ;-)
--
Regards,
Mick