On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 08:50 -0800, Grant wrote:
> > Does the USB stick still boot? It looks like you wiped the wrong
> device.
>
> Bingo, right as usual!  Apparently I wiped the USB stick.  I ran fdisk
> and mk2fs -j again (do I want journaling?) and reinstalled Damn Small
> Linux on the stick.  For some reason the laptop tell me "missing
> operating system" when I try to boot from the stick now.  I need to
> test it on other systems.

Grant,

Take a deep breath and hhink about what you're doing for a second.  Did
you just copy files to the stick and expect that it would boot?  It'
still needs a bootloader (LILO, GRUB, SYSLINUX, or whatever) in order to
load the OS on the stick.  Your dd wiped out *everything*

When you finally do get the stick to boot, run fdisk -l or blkid or
whatever and make sure your target disk is actually what you think it
is.

Anyway might save you some time in the long run... maybe not.