>> > Does the USB stick still boot? It looks like you wiped the wrong
>> device.
>>
>> Bingo, right as usual!  Apparently I wiped the USB stick.  I ran fdisk
>> and mk2fs -j again (do I want journaling?) and reinstalled Damn Small
>> Linux on the stick.  For some reason the laptop tell me "missing
>> operating system" when I try to boot from the stick now.  I need to
>> test it on other systems.
>
> Grant,
>
> Take a deep breath and hhink about what you're doing for a second.  Did
> you just copy files to the stick and expect that it would boot?  It'
> still needs a bootloader (LILO, GRUB, SYSLINUX, or whatever) in order to
> load the OS on the stick.  Your dd wiped out *everything*

unetbootin does go through a step called "Installing Bootloader".  I
also tried installing "Super Grub Disk" and "Smart Boot Manager" via
unetbootin, both of which are specifically described as bootloaders.
Still nothing.  Could that dd have wiped out something else on the USB
stick that is important for boot?

Is there a quick way to install a bootloader manually, so I can see if
that works?  I tried to adapt this but couldn't come up with a
procedure I though would be correct:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap2

- Grant