On Wednesday 03 February 2010 20:07:33 Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:09:08 -0600, Dale wrote:
> >> In my opinion, the old portage was good, the new one is even better.
> >> Now if the next version will prevent a person from borking their
> >> system, that would be heaven.  lol  You know, unmerge python and see
> >> what happens.  Yes, you can still unmerge python, even the only version
> >> you have left, and portage not say a darn thing.  It kills the heck out
> >> of portage tho.
> >
> > Portage gives you a big red warning if you try to do this, but it
> > doesn't, and shouldn't, try to stop you. What if you really want to
> > remove Python? Postage is not the only package manager, so python is not
> > compulsory.
>
> It doesn't here.  Someone else did the same thing a few weeks ago with
> no warning or didn't mention seeing one at least.  I've read where
> others have done this too.
>
> It just seems to me that portage should keep it so it can work.  It
> needs python to do that.  Since portage is the package manager for
> Gentoo, portage is the one that should be protected.

Portage is not the package manager for Gentoo. It is *A* package manager for
Gentoo.

Trying to assign it some special exalted status will always get you in trouble
when trying to understand why things are the way they are. The only special
thing about portage is that it carries officially supported status.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com