Am Montag 08 Februar 2010 01:27:59 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> Hello again List,
>
> $ sudo  fdisk -l
>
> Unable to seek on /dev/sda
>
> What am I to make of this? The system runs ok, but apparently the
> underlying disk subsystem isn't happy. This box has only the one disk at
> the moment. Google doesn't help.
>
> The box is a new Armari system with an Asus P7P55D motherboard and a
> Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA II hdd.

Having read the thread, there are three things that come to my mind:

1) Have you tried to read from the disk at block zero, i.e. try something like
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1024
This should read half a megabyte from the disk and for your hardisk be
finsihed as soon you release the enter key ...
Errors? and messages in dmsg?

2) The dmesg-output you mailed contains a call-trace about calgary. AFAIK
calgary is a IOmmu. Have you tried to disable it (try something like appending
iommu=none to your kernel commandline).
Have you looked for a bios upgrade? maybe you can get rid of the "broken bios"
messages this way.

3) A long time ago, there was a bios option for bootsector-protection, I've
never tried this, and I also don't have any idea whether linux sees that in
any way. If there is such an option, disable it.

Greetings
        Alex