On Monday 08 February 2010 02:25:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> b) You have a corrupted partition table that you can try to repair
>  with the "testdisk" tool (after you make a full backup of your
>  disk.)

That seems to have been it. Testdisk did indeed write a new partition
table, minus one of the partitions which it insisted on deleting so I
suppose something was wrong with it.

After much time taking and restoring backups my main system is now
running again and i can run fdisk.

I'm surprised at this, because a seek error sounds uncomfortably like a
hardware problem to me. Maybe some particular error in the partition
table confused fdisk and cfdisk.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Nikos and all those who offered it.

--
Rgds
Peter.