On 10 Feb, Dale wrote:
Hi,

has anybody a recipe on this upgrade hell each time KDE release a new
version?
This time existing KDE-4.3.5 packages block KDE-4.4 packages though they
go to different slots.
Even portage-2.2_rc62 is unable to cope with that.

Thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Well, I'm not really sure.  I synced a bit ago, ran autounmask and it is
just starting to download and emerge.  So far, it shows the blocks but
portage didn't stop the process.  It has started at least.

I'm using the same version of portage you are using.  You sure it is not
something that is not unmasked or something of that nature?  I'd be glad
to share my unmask and keyword files if you need them.  Off list of
course, unless the list wouldn't mind me putting them on here to share.  ^-^

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  Total: 275 packages (14 upgrades, 27 new, 234 in new slots, 245
uninstalls), Size of downloads: 726,272 kB
Conflict: 499 blocks

Sure am glad I got DSL now.  lol  That would take me a week on dial-up.
Thanks Dale,
but what should I use autounmask for?
No version of kde is masked here.

Helmut.

At first portage gave me errors about things being masked/keyworded. So, I figured out it was trying to upgrade the kde-meta and used autounmask to make sure they were all available. After that, it just started updating. So far, no problems.

Autounmask did add a lot of packages to package.keywords. I guess it did it for a reason since portage was complaining before I ran autounmask but isn't complaining now. I'm on package 6 at the moment.

Dale

:-)  :-)