On Wednesday 10 February 2010 11:38:52 Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:24:36 -0600, Dale wrote:
hal is a classic "Second System Effect" case

But I thought we thrashed this to death a while ago and all agreed to
never speak of this abomination again, while we await the Third
System Effect aka DeviceKit?

   From what I read it appears to be the same guy doing both.  Maybe,

just maybe, some lessons were learned and it will be a lot better.
Isn't that the point of redoing it? It's when someone else comes along
with  brand new way of doing things that we get a whole load of brand new
problems?
It really is the same guy. His blog said something to the effect of:

"hal is a load of crap. I knew it long ago, the other devs knew it slightly
less longer ago and the users now know it too. We were trying to do too much
and shoehorn too many things into the same boxes that belonged in different
boxes. I'm fed up trying to maintain this steaming mess, will not be adding
new features, and wash my hands of it. I'll be doing a rewrite called
DeviceKit."

So kudos to the man for recognizing the real problem, admitting it, and moving
onto a real solution. Nothing wrong with making a mistake and fixing it -
that's how we learn.

Personally, my mistakes teach me MUCH more than my successes - I then know
what not to do :-)

That's what I am thinking. At least he knows hardware, how to write a program and sees the big picture of how it turned out. That's why I said I hope this new thing will be better. He sees where it got lost and wants to make it better. Kudos for knowing it is better to start from freaking scratch too. Think Bill Gates could ever do that? ROFL

Dale

:-)  :-)