On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:43:12 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
>
>> > That's as much crippling as simplifying. You can do without pam and
>> > hal by setting appropriate USE flags (I run pam-free here by
>> > doing just that) but D-Bus provides a standard way for applications to
>> > communicate with one another and removing it can stop your desktop
>> > working as it should.
>
>> Really? I removed dbus from my system altogether and everything seems
>> to be communicating fine. And according to this
>> (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-810848-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html)
>> a system should be able to communicate without dbus.
>
> I've not read the whole thread, but this quote jumped out.
>
> "DBUS is just the chosen successor to DCOP and CORBA; all platforms have
>  inter-process messaging (e.g, Distributed Objects in OSX/*STEP)."
>
> It is a messaging layer and nothing to do with HAL, although HAL may use
> it to communicate, for example to let the desktop know that a USB device
> has been connected or disconnected.
>
> While HAL is an ugly mess that should never be exposed to users, D-Bus
> just gets on with its job, maybe because it is not exposed to users.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

The forums seems to be down at the moment so I'll try to read the
thread later. The only thing I wanted to say what that for me it's
been somewhat backward. hald doesn't work for my video cards because
my hardware isn't well supported. However I still have it turned on. I
cannot suggest why it's on, but it is. I presume it helps with
mounting external drives and things but I cannot or have not proved
it.

On the other hand there's a _long_ history in the pro-audio area of
seeing problems with dbus messing up the operation of Jack audio and
many of us including me leave dbus turned off.

Go figure!

- Mark