On 2/10/2010 2:12 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Wednesday 10 February 2010 03:29:50 Dale wrote:
Well, actually, if hal would have worked I wouldn't have cared if it
uses xorg.conf at all.  That was the point of using hal.  Thing is, I
followed the howto and it didn't work.  The fact that the config files
are in xml only became a problem after hal locked me out of my GUI and
required a hard shutdown.

hal is a classic "Second System Effect" case

But I thought we thrashed this to death a while ago and all agreed to never speak of this abomination again, while we await the Third System Effect aka
DeviceKit?

Last I heard DeviceKit was "deprecated before it even happened" and they're just going to move everything into udev.

--Mike

Well, udev does seem to work at least. lol Maybe the devicekit guy could just slide over and help the udev people?

Heck, as long as it works, I'm fine with it. I just don't like having to unexpectedly do a hard reboot.

Dale

:-)  :-)