On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 08:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:57:57 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

> >  For example, Network Manager uses D-Bus to tell programs when
> > your Internet connection is available and not, so your mail client goes
> > into offline mode rather than pointlessly trying to access your mailbox.
> > KDE4 uses it quite extensively, ust as KDE3 used DCOP.
>
> So that's why when I am downloading something it doesn't check my
> emails.  I was always curious about that.

that shouldn't be the case - what email client are you using?  Evolution
supports this (with the networkmanager USE flag*) but it goes offline
when all your interfaces are down, not just "in use" like heavy
downloading.

* actually the USE flag (networkmanager instead of dbus) and the
comments on it suggest that it talks directly to NetworkManager and not
via dbus, but I don't actually know.

$ equery u evolution
 - + networkmanager : Allows Evolution to automagically toggle online/offline
                      mode by talking to net-misc/networkmanager and getting
                      the current network state

She always believed in the old adage -- leave them while you're looking good.
                -- Anita Loos, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"