On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:57:57 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

but D-Bus provides a standard way for applications to communicate
with one another and removing it can stop your desktop working as
it should.
   Then how did things manage to work on my systems for the past 9 years,
pray tell?
Because nine years ago, Linux desktop  software didn't use interprocess
communication. Of course things will still work, but not necessarily
everything. For example, Network Manager uses D-Bus to tell programs when
your Internet connection is available and not, so your mail client goes
into offline mode rather than pointlessly trying to access your mailbox.
KDE4 uses it quite extensively, ust as KDE3 used DCOP.

So that's why when I am downloading something it doesn't check my emails. I was always curious about that.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)