On Friday 12 February 2010 12:15:13 Zeerak Waseem wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:53:04 +0100, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:19:43 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
> >> But I do find it silly, that the various applications that aren't
> >> dependent of the DE, to require a dependency of the DE. It just seems
> >> a bit backwards to me :-) I simply don't understand.
> >
> > That just shows that they are still partially dependent on the DE, KMail
> > also needs various KDE libraries. KDE was designed as a cohesive DE, not
> > just a bunch of applications with a common look and feel. KDE apps are
> > intended to be run on a KDE desktop, anything else is a nice bonus.
>
> Indeed, and it is a noble pursuit.
> But from a marketing aspect, it would make more sense to have things that
> aren't -vital- for the app, unlike kde-libs in this case, to be soft (is
> this the correct term?) dependencies.

Your entire argument is pointless and utterly without merit.

KDE is the way it is because that's how the devs built it. From a marketing
perspective, it is correct the way it is because the vast majority of it's
users will not understand or care about the point you are making and the DE
was built for them.

I'll give you an analogy:

A new suspension bridge has permanent copper cladding on the stay wires. You
are of the opinion that this should have been hot-pluggable and the city that
paid for the bridge should have had the choice to fit aluminium cladding after
the fact, and to be able to do so at the press of a button. You express this
opinion to the bridge architect and present vast reams of made-up marketing
fluff to support your point.

The bridge architect and his team of engineers listen to you, look at each
other and cock their eyebrows. The architect looks back at you and says:

"Tough shit. We're not changing it now."

There's a difference between what you think is the right way to proceed and
the way the devs chose. If you don't like where kmail is going, use claws

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com