----- Original Message ----

> From: Zeerak Waseem <zeera...@gmail.com>
> But then the question isn't whether there are a number of soft dependencies,
> but
> in the case of semantic-desktop whether -it- is a soft dependency. Like
> previously stated, I don't use kmail, nor do I intend to (I at least think I
> mentioned it). This is just my take on the matter of whether it is truly
> necessary, or even a good idea to have symantic-desktop as a hard dependency.

So you are complaining why? Why even install KMail if you are not going to use
it?

> And as stated, this is not in the light of a full blown KDE env, but mainly
> in
> considerations to when you're using another window manager. Be it icewm, jwm,
> openbox or whatever. Should something that is an integrated part of the KDE
> desktop environment be forced on those that don't use KDE?

The KDE devs in general (applications, etc.) with the exception of KOffice, and
possibly Amarok, are all targeting their development as an integrated DE meant
to be run under KDE.
They have been pretty clear as well that they do not intend the applications to
be run stand-alone under other DE's (even Gnome) - that's not officially
supported.
And this has been especially clear for KDE4 (see asiego's blog for example).

> Our opinions on this matter obviously differ, and for that simple reason I
> find
> it interesting to find out -why- you think it's okay that they're being
> forced.
> And simply stating that the devs' decided that it was how it was done, is
> pretty
> much as nonconstructive argument as "dbus is bad because it's new". I'd like
> find out why you seem to disagree, so please. By all means, enlighten me :-)
> (I
> am asking for it after all ;))

If you disagree with the devs lack of support for things beyond their
requirements, or things that they explicitly have stated they do not support
that is your issue.
The fact is the devs are building the application for the target environment -
KDE4 - and no other DE (e.g. gnome, icewm, jwm, openbox, etc.).
So expect that dependencies will match what would be expected in that
environment if you want to use the application.
Anything else is unreasonable of you as a user.

A simple analogy: The Chevy Malibu part not fitting in the Ford F150 vehicle.
Sure, they may perform the same function in the end, but they were designed for
completely different vehicles.

Ben