On 3 Mar 2010, at 12:42, Willie Wong wrote:

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 12:24:42PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
There seem to have been a few people posting with filesystem
corruption in the last week or two. It seems to be my turn, so I hope
it isn't contagious. The cause here is quite clear - whilst rummaging
in the server cupboard yesterday, power to the machine was
accidentally disconnected.

I have booted with a live CD & run `reiserfsck --fix-fixable` on the
filesystem, but nevertheless when I attempt to boot the system I get a
"failed to open the device... no such file or directory" message,
followed by another error as per subject line.

from the output it looks like you are mounting by label? What if you
edit fstab to point to the device name /dev/hd?? instead of
LABEL=root? Check the filesystem label to make sure it is ok?

Many thanks for this suggestion, however following it makes no difference, except in the trivia that it says "failed to open the device '/dev/hda3': No such file or directory" (instead of "LABEL=...").

I also tried editing grub to point to /dev/sda3 (although admittedly with the LABEL= entry in /etc/fstab) but that makes no difference. I have never tried (intentionally) reconfiguring this kernel to use /dev/ sdX instead of /dev/hdX and I'm pretty sure it's booted using the current kernel & configuration in the past.

Stroller.