On 3 March 2010 13:28, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2010, at 12:42, Willie Wong wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 12:24:42PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>>>
>>> There seem to have been a few people posting with filesystem
>>> corruption in the last week or two. It seems to be my turn, so I hope
>>> it isn't contagious. The cause here is quite clear - whilst rummaging
>>> in the server cupboard yesterday, power to the machine was
>>> accidentally disconnected.
>>>
>>> I have booted with a live CD & run `reiserfsck --fix-fixable` on the
>>> filesystem, but nevertheless when I attempt to boot the system I get a
>>> "failed to open the device... no such file or directory" message,
>>> followed by another error as per subject line.
>>
>> from the output it looks like you are mounting by label? What if you
>> edit fstab to point to the device name /dev/hd?? instead of
>> LABEL=root? Check the filesystem label to make sure it is ok?
>
> Many thanks for this suggestion, however following it makes no difference,
> except in the trivia that it says "failed to open the device '/dev/hda3': No
> such file or directory" (instead of "LABEL=...").
>
> I also tried editing grub to point to /dev/sda3 (although admittedly with
> the LABEL= entry in /etc/fstab) but that makes no difference. I have never
> tried (intentionally) reconfiguring this kernel to use /dev/sdX instead of
> /dev/hdX and I'm pretty sure it's booted using the current kernel &
> configuration in the past.

In my experience reiserfs is a very stable fs.  I had a dodgy memory
module once which I put up with for more than 9 months.  The machine
would lock up hard on a daily basis and the only way to get it going
again would be to pull the plug.  That would happen at random,
midstream emerge --sync, package updates, updatedb, etc.  It survived
through hundreds of crashes by fsck at the next boot.  Once or twice
things went hairy and I would get a message similar to yours.  On
these rare occasions I booted with a LiveCD and with the partitions
unmounted I ran --check, then --fix-fixable and finally
--rebuild-tree.  You may want to use an external drive with dd to
image the current / partition and do all your recovery work on that.
If you don't care too much about the risk of catastrophic failure then
just run --rebuild-tree with a LiveCD and see what you get.

Good luck.
--
Regards,
Mick