On 3 Mar 2010, at 14:01, Mick wrote:
... Once or twice
things went hairy and I would get a message similar to yours.  On
these rare occasions I booted with a LiveCD and with the partitions
unmounted I ran --check, then --fix-fixable and finally
--rebuild-tree.  You may want to use an external drive with dd to
image the current / partition and do all your recovery work on that.
If you don't care too much about the risk of catastrophic failure then
just run --rebuild-tree with a LiveCD and see what you get.

That's a great idea. I'm (now) religious about backing up my customers' computers, often using dd like this, but for some reason it hadn't yet occurred to me today.

Stroller.