On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 02:26:46PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
> I don't think this is a problem. I would love to know what others
> think of the `smartctl` output:
>

> r...@sysresccd /root % smartctl -H /dev/sda
> smartctl version 5.38 [i486-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
> Allen
> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
> Please note the following marginal Attributes:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>   9 Power_On_Seconds        0x0012   001   001   020    Old_age
> Always   FAILING_NOW 44803h+12m+16s

You can always run the smart long-test to double check. The
FAILING_NOW just indicates that the normalised value falls below the
threshold. For Power_On_Seconds, this usually just indicates that your
are way pass the warranty. If you really care about your data, swap it
out now or make frequent backups. Otherwise I don't see the harm of
keeping it until it actually dies.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton