Alan McKinnon writes:

> On Wednesday 03 March 2010 13:27:45 Alex Schuster wrote:

[RANT RANT RANT]

> > Ah, I see the problem. It mainly scans /data/mp3/incoming, a
> > directory I have NOT selected as collection folder (but most other
> > directories in /data/mp3 are selected). Still, those files do not
> > show up in my collection, which is fine - some time ago amarok did
> > index all in /data/mp3, even if a directory was not selected.

I investigated this further. Amarok seems to look for all playlists below
/data/mp3, and then looks up all of their files. No idea why.

> I wonder if amarok would not be better off using the strigi/nepomuk
> indexing function, instead of trying to be real clever and doing it
> itself.

Strigi also keeps indexing parts of my /data/mp3 stuff with EVERY login.

> OTOH, that might just resurrect the mother of all threads we had
> recently - the one about the pros and cons of nepomuk and
> semantic-desktop :-)

I am pro, I like it, but again it seems those things are not yet working
right. Strigi indexes stuff over and over again at every login. virtuoso-t
then also runs for a while and hogs resources. dbus-daemon uses 10-15
percent of CPU time according to top. Should it do this?

I enabled auto-login for KDE, so when I boot the system, at least things
are already indexed when I start working with it.

Now I'm going to emerge KDE-4.4.1, let's see what this will change.

        Wonko