On Wednesday 03 March 2010 13:27:45 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > On Monday 01 March 2010 18:08:05 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > On the other hand, from time to time I have show-stoppers, and then I
> > > cannot use kmail, or no KDE4 at all. And have to invest time to solve
> > > this. And there are these annoying things. Like Amarok being very
> > > unstable, and taking 5 minutes to start. What the heck is it doing in
> > > this time?
> >

> > Fuck knows what amarok-2x does for the first 5 minutes. I think On my
> > system it scans the music directory, presumably to find updates that
> > happened when amarok was not running. Fair enough, can't argue that,
> > but why is it so *slow*???
>
> Yes, it scans the collection, I just verified that by removing a folder
> from my collection. Start-up takes 7 minutes, I guess this also slows down
> my KDE4 start-up even further (strigi also scans some stuff for about a
> minute, along this music files I did not touch in any way). So when I save
> my KDE session I have to remember to quit amarok before that. Of course, I
> also have to remember to start amarok some time after I logged in, so I
> can play music when I want without having to wait 7 minutes first.
>
> This does not feel right...
>
> BTW, a find /data/mp3 -type d takes about a minute. Checking the date of
> the directories to verify they did not alter since the last scan should
> not take that much longer.
>
> Ah, I see the problem. It mainly scans /data/mp3/incoming, a directory I
> have NOT selected as collection folder (but most other directories in
> /data/mp3 are selected). Still, those files do not show up in my
> collection, which is fine - some time ago amarok did index all in
> /data/mp3, even if a directory was not selected.

I wonder if amarok would not be better off using the strigi/nepomuk indexing
function, instead of trying to be real clever and doing it itself.

OTOH, that might just resurrect the mother of all threads we had recently -
the one about the pros and cons of nepomuk and semantic-desktop :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com