Well,
If I get things right, you have a raster background, which you want to
visit at fixedresolutionlevels. You also want to overlay features on
top of this.

Well, I would suggest a simple thing. Use the streaming renderer to
render the features and then overlay this on top of the background
image. This way you can trick as much as you want with the coverage
without impacting features.
I would probablyuse two different backbuffers, one where you draw the
coverage, one where you draw the results of the streaming renderer for
features. This way you can avoid a lot of unneded code for the
coverage.

I might be more specific, but I don't have much time, sorry.
Simone.

Eng. Simone Giannecchini
President /CEO GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Carignoni 51