>Are vets kind and understanding of someone's wallet?
>In other words, if I couldn't pay for a vet, would
>they still 'fix' my gerbil or what?

Yes, vets are people too.  They have college loans to pay off, bills to pay,
kids to put through college and vet techs whose salaries they must pay.

No, most vets won't work for free.  Some vets will take payments as opposed
to asking for all the money right off.  If you already having a relationship
with a vet (i.e. you've been to this vet many times before and have always
paid in a timely fashion), the vet will be more willing to take payments
when you are in a financial bind.

Call around to different vets in your area to see if you can find one who
takes payments.

Good Luck!

Deb Adams