>     We might also choose to use the upcoming Gnome Print System if it turns
>     out to fit our needs and appears to be portable to non-Linux systems.
>
>  As long as it doesn't require actually running Gnome (works with bare
>  X, KDE, etc.) and its footprint is reasonably light, that sounds like
>  a reasonable thing to do.

As far as I know no GNOME application requires a running GNOME
session, if by such thing you mean running the gnome-session program.

If a GNOME program does not run under "bare" X or KDE, then it is
broken and should be fixed.  Do you have any examples of such
programs?

(As for footprint, well, the GIMP is not terribly lightweight either) :-)

  Federico