Daniel Egger wrote:

>  Great... so maybe you can tell us what we'd gain from using gnome in
>  GIMP. Now tell us: what would we get for linking against another bunch
>  of libraries?

You don't seem to be very familiar with gnome-libs, especially not with the
progress that was/is being made towards the next release. Without going into
details, I see lots of good stuff we could use, like

 gnome-print   for printing (preview, native printer drivers, a nice print
dialog)
 gnome-font    for font-rendering (don't know if gnome-2.0 will have this)
 gnome-canvas  for the UI (he draw routines we use on the gimp canvas are
               very difficult to handle, using objects that can be connexted
               and emit signals would make our live much easier)
 libart        provides convenient and optimized functions for all sorts of
               affine transformations
 gdk-pixbuf    image-loading and simple (but fast) transformations (we may
want
               to use this to implement a proper brush and patterns system
since
               it integrates nicely with libart which would give us scalable,
               rotatable brushes/patterns for free)
 gconf         for configuration (have a look into the code for the
               preferences-dialog, it sucks badly ...)
 gtkhtml       seems to be a very nice replacement for gtkxmhtml

Now, tell me why we should recode all this on our own. It would not only be
ridiculous to do so, I can also assure you that it is beyond our limits due
to limited resources of good developers willing to spend their time to do it.

On the other hand, a lot depends on the GNOME people. I hope that their goal
is to provide a bloat-free set of portable libraries that don't depend on too
much other stuff we don't want to use.

Salut. Sven