Colleagues,

It's always a good idea to draw a deep breath before flaming. Especially
when the topic is as ideologically charged as open-source.

I have nothing but admiration for Dr. Heeks' longstanding efforts to
separate IT hype from economic reality in the field of development.
However, his FOSS and Development brief appears flawed...

The brief would be helped by short descriptions of the benefits that
open-source tools provide to OECD economies and MNCs such as IBM--to
enable us to compare these to usage in developing countries. In
addition, I'm sure that many of us are skeptical of the idea that
Apache, MySQL, and PHP aren't running on servers throughout the South --
to be credible, this inference in needs to be explicit and documented
the brief. Or are we only concerned with desktop applications?

In any case, I believe that Dr Heeks' analysis is based on a false
assumption:  that the  contribution of open-source to economic
development centers on replacing commercial software with free (no
purchase price) and libre (modifiable source-code) tools.

The impact of open-source is both more broad and less direct. As the
brief itself suggests at the end, several states that have proposed
adoption of open-source have been showered with no-cost software
licenses by Microsoft. These licenses of course have value. Less
quantifiably, the open-source movement has spurred donor-agency (SIDA),
NGO (Inveneo), and volunteer (programmers at Jhai Foundation)
contributions to the field of ICT4D.

In addition, open-source has been and will remain integral to efforts to
develop new hardware tools for village users. Development of many of
these tools has relied on Linux: the Jhai PC and the (oft-maligned)
Simputer, as well as thin-client networking products in schools in Goa
and in South Africa (Hewlett-Packard 4-4-1 computers). Jiva Institute's
Teledoc project in Haryana, India, however, has successfully used the
Symbian OS and Java 2 MicroEdition to develop data communications for
healthworkers using mobile phones.

For these tools and subsequent hardware-development efforts, it's still
"early days." The projects and products listed above barely reach the
poor. Technical capacities in many African countries still limit the use
of thin-client networks to run the refurbished PCs that are breaking
down in schools. But these are vastly under-funded initiatives, for the
most part, bucking substantial challenges of design, production, and
implementation. They or their progeny will succeed in time, and
open-source will have played a significant role--whether or not it is
used in the tools that at last reach villagers at scale.

Let's assume that per Dr. Heeks' analysis we have yet to see significant
direct economic benefit to developing countries from open source. Should
we then advocate exclusive use of proprietary software? Or should we
perhaps adopt the position prevalent among the private sector's tech
giants such as IBM and HP? That there will be some applications, some
jobs, for which open-source is the appropriate answer, and others for
which it is not.

Regards,

Ed Gaible

Edmond Gaible Ph.D.