From: "Justin Lemkul" <jalem...@vt.edu>
To: "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users@gromacs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:54:42 AM
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] stopped simulation

On 11/6/13 12:53 PM, Ehsan Sadeghi wrote:
> Hi gmx users,
>
> I have simulated ionomer in water solution using gromos force field. But in
> middle of simulation(after 2 ns) the simulation stopped and I received these
> messages:
>

> WARNING: Listed nonbonded interaction between particles 174 and 188
> at distance 3f which is larger than the table limit 3f nm.
>
> This is likely either a 1,4 interaction, or a listed interaction inside
> a smaller molecule you are decoupling during a free energy calculation.
> Since interactions at distances beyond the table cannot be computed,
> they are skipped until they are inside the table limit again. You will
> only see this message once, even if it occurs for several interactions.
>
> IMPORTANT: This should not happen in a stable simulation, so there is
> probably something wrong with your system. Only change the table-extension
> distance in the mdp file if you are really sure that is the reason.
>
> Fatal error:
> 1 particles communicated to PME node 5 are more than 2/3 times the cut-off
> out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in dimension y.
> This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated.
>

> ----
> I used simulated annealing for equilibrating the system in NVT and NPT
> condition. The mdp files are:
>
> ---- NVT ------
>
> define     = -DPOSRES
> integrator = md
> dt         = 0.002 ; time step (in ps)
> nsteps     = 25000 ; Maximum number of steps to perform
>
> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
> nstxout    = 500
> nstvout    = 500
> nstenergy  = 500
> nstlog     = 500
> energygrps = Non-Water Water
>
> ; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
>
> nstlist    = 1
> ns_type    = grid
> rlist      = 1.5
> pbc        = xyz
>
> ; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
>
> coulombtype= PME
> pme_order  = 4
> fourierspacing= 0.16
> rcoulomb   = 1.5
> vdw-type   = Cut-off
> rvdw       = 1.5
>
> ; Temperature coupling
>
> tcoupl     = v-rescale
> tc-grps    = Non-Water Water
> tau_t      = 0.1    0.1
> ref_t      = 300    300
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr   = EnerPres
> ; Pressure coupling is off
> pcoupl     = no
>
> ; Annealing
>
> annealing   = single single
> annealing-npoints = 5  5
> annealing-time = 0 10 20 30 40 0 10 20 30 40
> annealing-temp = 300 320 340 360 380 300 320 340 360 380
>
> ; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN
> gen_vel    = yes
> gen_temp   = 300
> gen_seed   = -1
>
> ; OPTIONS FOR BONDS
> [...]

The cutoffs values (1.5) are wrong for using any of the Gromos parameter sets.
Likely the dynamics have become unstable due to violation of the physical model.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore
20 Penn St.
Baltimore, MD 21201

* Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the