>   It was also reported that the NEAR-Fest organizers seemed to be less
>  receptive to the computer stuff, wanting to focus more on traditional
>  radio stuff.

True.  Perception of recent Hoss Traders was there were more big
layouts of small buckets of PCI cards and cables than of RF
connectors, and aside from a couple commercial ham dealers selling NEW
there were no radios, and all the good used ham gear was going to eBay
because there weren't any RADIO buyers only junk computer buyers  -- a
self fulfilling prophecy, once the radios (are perceived to) go to
ebay, they buyers don't show. New Mgt announcing "more radios, less
computers" was self-fulfilling also, and so radios *were* there to be
bought, the buyers were there to buy, and deals were made.  But still
some computers. I bought a 35mm film scanner.

And GNU/Linux is recognized as having been Ham-friendly from early on,
e.g. having an AX.25 driver in kernel, and the DIY ethic of
GNU/Linux/FLOSS hackers and
radio/electronics/robotics/kinetic-art/Make-magazine hackers is in the
same direction.  GNHLUG giving out the Ham linux disk certainly helped
on keeping that perception current..

> But it's also been reported that they may be coming around on that score.

Hams need computers too !  Just don't want to drive the radio
resellers back to eBay again.

>   Of course, if you someone wants to show up and spread the word
>  anyway, that's perfectly fine.  Indeed, more power to you!  :)  There
>  are prolly still a few attendees who would benefit; we just decided
>  there weren't enough to be worth it anymore.

Linux isn't a closely held open secret any more, that's true.

>   One note: We discovered that if you advertise anything for "free" at
>  hamfest, you will get cleaned out by people taking seven of everything
>  just because it's "free".

:-)

>  They might not even own a computer; they
>  don't care, they see it as a moral imperative to take free stuff.  If
>  you try to limit to one per person, they'll come around seven times.

If there's a limit, it's obviously good !

>  We solved this problem by loudly advertising the $1 fee for the discs
>  we were burning, and keeping the "free" status of the pre-made discs
>  quiet.

:-)

If I can get a couple boxes of out-of-date Gutsy CDs, I was thinking
of Johny Appleseeding, giving them to folks selling computers for them
to give WITH the older systems as upgrades.

--
Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]