On 2017-06-28 10:31, Richard Kolb II wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking into using a pine a64 running ubuntu mate to setup a time
> lapse photo using a standard digital camera controlled over USB. I
> haven't done a ton of research into it yet, but I wanted to see if
> anyone else has done something similar and had some advice/opinions. I
> was thinking of setting this up first as a way to capture an event
> going on, and second as a wildlife/security camera.

Well, I bought the Pinebook, and -- given its price, among other things
-- seems like it would do a fine job using its webcam.  But if you want
high quality stuff, I suppose a "real" camera is the way to fly, and not
a webcam (be it part of a Pinebook or something external).

> I'm also thinking about using it as a wifi access point, the location
> that it'll be installed, a remote house in Maine, will have a dsl
> connection, but right now I don't have a wireless router, and since I
> have this handy I thought I'd take advantage.

I set up my RasPi 3 as a WAP, and I have to say, it just didn't work
that well -- egregiously slow, and low power to boot.  I guess the
system is underpowered for the task, based on the reading I did.  I'd
have to recommend using a stock WAP to make that happen -- bet you could
find one for $15 on Craigslist or something.

$.02,

-Ken