On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> All the Samba printing docco I've found so far has been focussed
> on things going the other way: Windows trying to print on a
> Linux-served printer.  Would someone be so kind as to point me
> at something that can help me get things to go the other direction?
> Thanks..

Samba comes with an ftp-like client called "smbclient", and one of its
commands is "print". Connecting and issuing "print -" will make it print
from stdin.

There's also a script for printing called "smbprint", which calls
smbclinet to print a job. I had the same problem with the redhat tool, and
I ended up examining the script and then writing a simplified version of
it that did work. Here's how it works:

To print to the NT print share "laserjet" on the NT server "foo", assuming
my NT login is "johndoe" and my password is "FooBar":

    ( echo 'print -' ; cat file.ps ) | \
        smbclient //foo/laserjet FooBar -U johndoe -N -P

Presumably this should work with a Win9x print share as well.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / URL: http://www.blu.org
ICQ#28611923 / AIM abreauj