Ken,
I do this every day on my Linux boxes, using Red Hat 6.x.
I merely set up a printer, in my case the default printer,
using the RH / Gnome control panel -> printer tool.
I told the printer set up tool that the HP4000 is connected
by SMB, the host name of the printer server, the share name
of the printer server on that server, & the printer type.
The printer is shared from a W95 box using standard M$
networking, with no passwords.
Yes, it uses smbprint down inside the filter, and I did use
smbprint to learn about it, but if all you want to do is print,
then this should suffice.

Bob Sparks
Linux guru wannabe