On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Benjamin Scott wrote:

>   The 6200 (two port) version goes for well under $150, IIRC.  They have
> four and eight port versions as well.  They support RAID-0 (striping),
> RAID-1 (mirroring), and RAID-5 (on models with more than two ports).
>
>   http://www.3ware.com

Unhappy newsflash: 3ware is discontinuing their RAID controller series.
Apparently, someone in marketing must've noticed that people were buying
their $300 RAID cards, then turning around and selling $10K+ turnkey RAID
systems... so now that's what they're going to do, instead.

*sigh*

The EOL announcement was made as of early October (late September?), but
they won't cease production/support until 12/31.

-Ken

P.S.  Note that they're discontinuing it to keep others from competing
with their RAID box product line, *not* because the cards were selling
poorly.  Can anyone say "wide open market niche?"  I just hope whoever
fills it is as Linux-friendly as these guys were.