On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Jack Hodgson wrote:
> I've just set up my first linux box (FYI I'm the guy who came to the
> Seacoast meeting this past month saying I was gonna put linux on a Mac
> Quadra. Well I did it!), and I'm kinda amused at how I'm unwilling to do
> a particular bit of system maintenance because it involves shutting down
> the machine, and I like seeing my uptime stats get bigger.

  LOL!  I know exactly what you mean.  I've been putting off installing USB
support on my desktop here at work.  When I built my kernel, I did not
include USB support, because I didn't have any USB devices.  Well, now I do,
but I need to reboot to activate the new kernel.  It is such a bummer.

  Well, at least that is one addiction MS-Windows users never have to worry
about.  And people say Windows has no redeeming features!  ;-)

> And, I know, it's not gonna get any easier.

  Wait until the system configuration stabilizes.  We have got customers
with systems with uptimes over a year, and we are hardly the pinnacle of
availability engineering.  The usual limiting factor is the runtime on the
UPS batteries.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>