On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, at 12:59pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I considered Amanda.  Amanda really isn't appropriate, for, as I
>> understand it, Amanda has to write the backup set to disk before writing
>> it to tape.
>
> It doesn't *have* to, it just makes thing faster for over-the-net backups
> of remote machines.

  Okay, I went back and checked, and I was remembering wrong.  It was not
that Amanda requires using the holding disk, it was that Amanda cannot span
a filesystem across tapes.  I just went and double-checked my notes, and
there is a FAQ entry to back me up:

        http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/32.html

  Am I understanding this wrong?

> Veritas has something as well.  Don't know whether they have Linux based
> servers yet, but they both have Linux clients AFAIK.

  Veritas has a "NetBackup" that claims to support Linux as the server.
But I was hoping to find something that someone here has actually used,
though.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>