[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>In a message dated: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:48:56 EDT
>Benjamin Scott said:
>
>For example, if you have a 100GB fs, and you're using DLT IV tapes
>which only take about 80GB compressed, rather than using dump to dump
>the entire file system, have amanda use gnu tar to dump separate
>directories.  That way you can prune things down to workable sizes.
>
>Most of the people on the amanda-users list do things this way,
>especially since Linus has more than once stated that people
>shouldn't rely upon dump, and that it will someday suddenly disappear.

dump is also filesystem specific.  Linux dump works with ext2/ext3
only. If you're using ReiserFS, JFS, XFS, or vfat (or anything else),
dump won't work.

>>But I was hoping to find something that someone here has actually used,
>>though.  :-)

I've converted a small site (200 machines, 3 DLT 10 tape stackers) away from 3 legato
server
backing up 100 unix only systems to 2 veritas netbackup backing up 100
unix and 100 windows NT/9x systems.  One server was Solaris, the other
NT.

I was also involved in converting a large site (12 web hosting
data centers with 100-300 machines per DC, 4-12 DLT tape drive jukes at
each DC.  One DC backed up 1.2TB each night) from Legato to TSM.  The
servers were all solaris.

If you're a huge site and you're going to heavily customize your backup system,
TSM is a good way to go.  If you just want the standard backups,
Veritas Netbackup is good.  They use standard gnutar 1.12 (?) to backup unless you're
doing multiplex writing.  Then they use a modified gnutar.  To restore,
you need just the single gtar they provide.

Their licensing also allows you to setup a test system to experiment
with, etc.  They don't use a license manager.

--
-------
Tom Buskey