On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, at 3:44pm, Tom Buskey wrote:
> If you're a huge site and you're going to heavily customize your backup
> system, TSM is a good way to go.

  Nope, just a single server with a moderately large filesystem.

> If you just want the standard backups, Veritas Netbackup is good.

  I was looking at that.  Based on your description, it sounds like we might
try evaluating that one next.

> They use standard gnutar 1.12 (?) to backup unless you're doing multiplex
> writing.  Then they use a modified gnutar.  To restore, you need just the
> single gtar they provide.

  Hmmmm.  We *were* using GNU tar -- then we ran into this bug with a long
file name spanning a tape.  I wonder if Veritas has fixed that bug?  If so,
we should be able to get the source from them (per the GPL).  On the other
hand, I wonder if they have not fixed the bug, and we will still have the
problem?  Or, on the third hand, maybe they bypass it by splitting archives
over tapes outside of GNU tar.

  I love computers.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>