[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm wondering what IRC server people use.  Since I know next to
>nothing about IRC, I have no idea what servers are available, and
>which ones are good/bad/major security holes, etc.
>
>Any pointers would be great.

You're setting up an internal chat room like I told you about?  Very
cool if you can get everyone to use it.  I'm not sure what we used at
Genuity.

If that's what you're doing, getting people to use it on a regular
basis is the key to success.  It's gotta become a 'water cooler' and
not just a place to ask questions.

If you have lots of windows users, maybe getting a server that does AIM
would be better.  Lots of people have AIM installed by default so it
might be easier to get them to use it.  They're also likely more
familiar with the client.  There are lots of Linux clients too.

Jabber is another thought.

>While you're at it, pointers/recommendations on IRC clients would
>also be gratefully accepted  :)

I *really* like epic on linux.  Character based & I have macros that
let you have multiple windows.  Xchat works too for people that don't
want to learn the keystrokes.  Gaim has a plugin for IRC as does
everybuddy and probably some others.

On windows, I've used one based on tcl/Tk (ircle?).

--
-------
Tom Buskey