Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> There seems to be two incompatible arguments about the effect of Green OA:
>
> 1. Green OA presents no threat to subscription publishing [...]
>
> 2. [...] Green OA will destroy the subscription market.

I've been struggling with the same dilemma for a long time, and much more since
I've launched a campaign to have my university adopt a Green OA deposit
mandate, where this issue is regularly raised and has to be addressed.

The truth is that we don't know what will happen. One can equally envision any
scenario along a spectrum between:

A. Green OA (actually ~20%) reaching an upper limit well below 100 % (mandates
not generalizing), with limited TA to (Gold) OA conversion among journals,
resulting in few subscription cancellations, and (possibly) a slight decrease
of total costs to the community (ultimately the taxpayers) due to (1) OA
publishing being inherently less expensive, and (2) market pressure (authors
choosing an OA journal based in part on its impact/publishing fees ratio).

B. Green OA reaching ~100% with total TA to OA conversion, and journals
downsizing to peer-review providers (the other publication functions being
overtaken by repositories), resulting in a huge overall cost decrease to the
community.

While the #2 end of the spectrum may certainly be seen as a threat to
publishers, or at least to some of them, it's extremely hard to predict which
scenario is likely to occur, and to what extent any specific scenario
constitutes a "real" threat. One can easily imagine a scenario with 100% Green
OA and journals (partially or totally converted to OA) keeping their actual
functions.

One problem is that some publishers seem to consider as a threat any pressure
to change the still dominant dissemination (or "business") model, whose
inadequacy is now widely recognized among the scientific community (but not by
the shareholders, of course).

So, I think that nobody can honestly state either  #1 or  #2 above as is. But
one could say that:

- the scholarly publication world is due (and has begun) to change in a
profound way;

- that nobody knows exactly what this change will be, or what role Green OA
will play in it;

- that Green OA is a legitimate demand, made in the public interest by (among
others) publicly paid and funded researchers giving, as authors and reviewers,
their works and their time for free;

- that those responsible for public policy (and use of taxpayers' money) are
expected to put the public interest above that of private entities.

Marc Couture