I was under the impression that setting different revision number for
different map would be enough. It will extract the files at this
revision... (Gerd could you confirm?)

I think that trunkXXX is made for package that are really dependent on
the version of OCaml (e.g. dependent on OCaml sources).

My take on this is: make it compile for the stable version (now 3.12)
and best effort for the other (e.g. since 4.00 is near, I consider it
now). Use a revision number to publish the right version of the file
for the right suite.