First, it is very common and super easy to directly import from a
mailman (pipermail)  archive. If the pipermail archive is publicly
online, just supply the URL to the support team.

The Mail Archive does not split digests back into individual messages.
That's way too scary. If a digest is presented during import, it
will be archived as a single large message. It might be possible to
split a digest into a multi-message mbox, but I have no experience
or advise to give. Consult your favorite internet search engine, the
mailman-users community, or perhaps someone here can give
guidance.

I'd like to clarify some terminology in the FAQ. Cold storage means
sitting on a disk in a closet somewhere, completely disconnected
with the internet. The only thing in cold storage is some raw mail
from years gone past. Anything we serve is in a processed format
and very much online. Everything imported is very much live and
online.

The 3000 limit is simply how far back index pages go; people get
tired clicking after a while and we also limit them for performance
reasons. So on one hand The Mail Archive doesn't really offer
what you are looking for, which is monthly indexes going back
forever. But you can get something similar using the search engine.
For extra fun, click on the expand button following the link. We
might make such links more prominent in the user interface
in the future, if there is demand. I've heard mixed feedback so
far.

http://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=date%3A200308*&l=gossip%40mail-archive.com

While customization is possible, we tend to forget about them after
enough time has passed (say 10 years) and then accidentally break
them with some code change. So I wouldn't generally encourage
that approach. If it did happen, no money would be involved. An
inactive list is more likely to 'maintain' this type of exception over
time than an active one. All right, fine, we can try it, on a best effort
basis; mention to the support team during import.

Regarding export, there's no problem for you to copy or mirror your
archive's HTML. Some people do this as an extra backup, which is
great. I haven't yet heard of folks doing this because of unhappiness
with the user interface.