On 08/20/2013 04:44 AM, Markus Elfring wrote:

HelloWorld::HelloWorld() : m_textview() {

    add(m_textview);
    m_textview.show();
Glib::Thread::create(sigc::mem_fun(*this, &HelloWorld::cpp_app), true);
}
[...]
void HelloWorld::cpp_app() {
    string texttoprint = "";
    Glib::RefPtr<Gtk::TextBuffer> m_refTextBuffer;
    m_refTextBuffer = Gtk::TextBuffer::create();
    string runit(std::string c);

    texttoprint +=
"About to run a number of c++ functions\nand display the results\n";
    m_refTextBuffer->set_text(texttoprint);
    m_textview.set_buffer(m_refTextBuffer);

sleep(10); // This sleep function represents any c++ function performaing a task

I would like to clarify implementation details a bit more from this programming attempt. Can it be that the referenced text buffer is written in a thread-unsafe way here? How do think about to apply improved techniques and software ingredients like locks for memory consistency? (Andrew Potter and Gavin Lambert suggested also an alternative program structure. - https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkmm-list/2013-August/msg00135.html )

Regards,
Markus
Makus. As always I appreciate your taking the time to give input.

The lines that you quote are almost identical to the lines in the documentation, HelloWorld (the first example of the Gtkmm documentation). It's totally modeled after Alan's submission of which I linked to. The only difference is Alan's submission uses the label widget and the one you're quoting above uses textview. I could be wrong and you might see something else subtle that I'm missing. If you could specify specifically I'll message Alan for help to make whatever change you suggest, if it would be applicable. But I can't make changes at this time. It's working perfectly and making changes would brake it.

Again, I'd gladly test any lines that you post and tell you if the code still works.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
lja...@apollo3.com