Diana said,
> For a split skirt, I would decorate the underskirt or make it a different
> color.  I was thinking of making a quilted underskirt but it may just be a
> petticoat that I can use later with a pet-en-l'air jacket or something
> like that.

     It depends on how close to actual 18th century you want to make it,
and then what social class, time of day, etc.

     More formal open-front gowns have a petticoat of the same fabric,
possibly decorated with self-fabric ruching and flounces (same as the
gown).

     A petticoat of a different fabric is more of an undress look - your
serviceable wool gown is not as likely to have the same fabric for
the petticoat.

     Quilted petticoats are lovely, or you can use a Marseilles cloth (a
double weave) which was also done in the 18th century.  It's also not
a formal or evening type of look.

     Generally a lady would decorate the stomacher or neckline of the gown
to draw the eye up, rather than use a different color petticoat which
might draw the eye away from the face and neckline.

     -Carol