I love this period--been doing a lot of research on it, and saving a
lot of images.  They're on a different computer and I'm too lazy to
walk all the way upstairs, though, so I'll make do down here...

WWI in the Netherlands is a bit general: there are a lot of changes in
fashion during those years.  Also, I'm not sure how much the
Netherlands setting affects the question--would they be behind the
times, fashion-wise, or are they close enough to France that they'd be
getting new trends before the US?  One of my favorite books (although
useless for the project I've been researching) is a Dover reprint of a
1914 what-are-the-newest-trends type magazine; the intro explains that
American fashion correspondents are reporting on the latest Paris
trends. The reason the book is useless for my research is that a lot
of these trends just plain didn't make it over to the US, or didn't
show up until a year or three after 1914, but it might actually be
useful for the Netherlands.  The book is:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Pattern-Company-Fashions-Catalog/dp/0486286886/

Anyway, I really just have a few general comments.  The first and
foremost is this: HATS.  They are essential to the costume.  Looking
through the fashion plates, the only people I see not wearing hats are
the ones who are also modeling lingerie or housecoats.  Unless the
characters are planning to spend all day inside, they need a matching
hat.

Also, the hairstyle is so very definitive of the era--I hope someone
involved is good at doing those nice poufy up-dos, or that you have
some great wigs.  Here's a book that I want, but not badly enough to
spend that much on it:
http://www.amazon.com/Hairstyles-Fashion-Hairdressers-History-1910-1920/dp/1859732224/

Third, undergarments: they're less of a struggle in this era. The
frumpy, poufy, blousy look lets you go bra-less with impunity (and get
a more accurate look; bras existed but weren't worn much, and the high
firm bust of today's bras just doesn't work) and although girdle-like
corsets are still worn, the main impact they have on the outer look is
to keep your clothing from getting wrinkled and rumpled around the
waist if you spend time sitting throughout the day.  In other words,
you don't need something tight around the waist, just something firm.
Hips and rear ends are worn rather straight and flat even in the
flared-skirt portion of this era; a girdle can help a bit with that,
but it's more a matter of how the skirts are cut.  The slightly raised
waistline also helps mask the swell of the hips.

Fourth, this is an era where you start seeing everyday clothes that
are actually comfortable become fashionable. If you're a bit chilly,
throw on a sweater or cardigan.  Riding?  Try pants instead of a
skirt.  Working in the garden?  Put on a pair of overalls. Sleeves are
loose and relatively roomy; necklines are low or loose enough to be
comfortable (if shocking to the older generation).  Other than perhaps
the shoes, no part of the outfit should be tight enough to be
constricting in any way.  The fitness culture that we have today had
already begun and spread to females before this era; people understood
that exercise was necessary for both sexes, and by this era, women
were starting to wear clothing that was actually comfortable for
physical activity.

(Speaking of which, the whole 'hobble skirt' thing was a fashion
flash-in-the-pan that fizzled specifically because it was so hard to
live with, and most women were no longer interested in putting up with
that.  The look stayed popular and reappeared off and on throughout
the era, but after a very short time--during which only a few women
wore the style for more than just weddings or other highly formal
events--skirts were most often only made to _look_ that tight around
the calves and ankles.  The use of clever pattern-making and tailoring
tricks, and a few well-placed pleats and slits made walking easy, even
if the skirts still _looked_ like they might hobble you.  By 1914, the
flash-in-the-pan part was over, and very few skirts had a built-in
speed limit.)

You should be able to find several patterns that will work at Past
Patterns; my favorites and the ones I think look most typical by year
are:
1914--
http://www.pastpatterns.com/6053.html (This dress could be pulled off
throughout the era.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/8480.html (The sheer frilliness of this
one makes it a bit more specific to the earlier part of the era, but
still wearable throughout, especially by a teenager.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/6909.html (Note the frilly stuff at the
upper thighs; you see that everywhere in 1914)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/8390.html (This is a great example of how
drape and optical illusions are used to give the _look_ of a skirt
that would hobble you, without actually hobbling you.)

1915--
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9395.html (Another typical look is the
blouse you see here, with the neckline/collar dropping straight down
into an open front over a vest-like panel.  Pair a nice white
pneumonia blouse...)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9922.html (...with a dark, ankle-length
wool peplum skirt and wrap a wide sash around your waist, and it'll
scream WWI.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/5830.html (There're a couple of big trends
this year.  One is a very straight, shapeless look, seen both in 1
piece gowns and 2-piece, skirt & blouse or suit outfits...)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/8322.html (...and the other is the
beginnings of the flared-skirt look.)

1916--
http://www.pastpatterns.com/6204.html (the flared skirt wins out this
time, helped out by cord-stiffened petticoats; in 1915 it's seen in
women's suits, day dresses, ballgowns, everything.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/4877.html (Nice white or cream blouses
worn with skirts are still a fashion standard.)

1917--
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9384.html (The flared skirt is still
popular, as are fancy overskirt/peplum effects)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/8159.html (The waist moves up a bit ...and
so do hemlines; about mid-way between the floor and your knee is
acceptable.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9115.html (Many if not most dresses are
made to resemble a blouse-and-skirt outfit.)

1918--
Darn it, I'm not finding much at PP for 1918.  There are still some
useful "circa" examples though:
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9127.html (Flared skirts are losing
popularity, although they still pop up into the 20s.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9225.html (With frou-frou at the
hips/thighs or without, skirts have a silhouette more like a pair of
slightly poufy parentheses: ( ) than a flare or a straight line;
waistline is still a bit high.)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/9751.html (Things are a bit less frilly
and lacy, and more draped and tailored)
http://www.pastpatterns.com/8767.html (the ( ) look carries over here;
don't forget the "sensible clothes" aspect!)

Wow, I spent more time on this than I meant to, and now no longer have
the patience to doublecheck all the links and make sure they are in
fact what I meant.  Here's hoping I got lucky...

-E House