As to how others reacted, we got a lot of questions about what was happening
when. I new group, the Louisiana Living History Foundation, has been formed to
manage a living history park with reenactments. (There is the Chalmette
National Battlefield, but for those who don't know, US National Park Service
rules prohibit battle reenactments on park ground, so this alternative site has
been found and is being developed.) I don't think the word about events got out
as well as it could have, though. The last battle was Sunday morning, so we had
to tell people who asked that they missed it, but come next year.

There was also a period ball Saturday night and a victory dinner at Antoine's
Sunday night--both with quite a variety of evening wear, of course.

I presented a program for about 40 reenactors on Wednesday on dress in New
Orleans, 1807-1820. I also led a work bag craft workshop in the reenactor
women's salon on Friday morning and we had a tea in the afternoon.

Best public reactions for us--my husband, Jim, has a chintz tailored morning
gown and waistcoat which he wore with his gray top hat for our second line
parade through the French Quarter Friday night. That got a lot of attention. I
also wore a day dress, spencer, and bonnet when I went to the Cabildo to see
this exhibit on Sunday.
http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-museum/exhibits/battle-of-new-orleans/index
Two groups of girls asked about my outfit.

The exhibit has one room on the battle itself, with Andrew Jackson's uniform
coat and two others from the period. The second room is the battle in popular
culture, which includes a Western Costume "British" uniform from the 1957
version of "The Buccaneer." It is Technicolor red with gold cuffs, but
otherwise bears little resemblance to an actual uniform. The exhibit is up
through Jan. 6, 2016.

Ann Wass