The Newport and the Ripple are not the same dance. Try Melvin Ballou Gilbert's 1890s dance manual "Round Dancing" for instructions.

Fran

On 8/4/2016 10:27 AM, Katy Bishop wrote:
In vintage dance circles we've done the Newport and the Ripple--they are
real 1890s dance steps.

The NEwport (sort of a limping step:

Newport                Leap back left, across LOD (gents) with a quarter
turn, Side right and close, Side right and Close, Leap forward right
(gents) with a quarter turn, Side left and close, Side left close..i.e.:
{1&2&3,4&5&6}.

Don't remember the ripple sequence of steps.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM, ruthan...@mindspring.com <