On the eve of the 9/11 anniversary, Breaking news out of Washington: Terrorist risk
level raised to 'high'....Action taken after U.S. learns of threats against embassies
http://msnbc.com/news/804875.asp

We're officially at Code Orange folks..."A High Condition is declared when there is a
high risk of terrorist attacks. In addition to the Protective Measures taken in the
previous Threat Conditions, Federal departments and agencies should consider the
following general measures in addition to the agency-specific Protective Measures that
they will develop and implement"

Ridge and Ashcroft will hold a newser at 1:15 et to layout the details...We'll cut
sound the relevant SOTs (sound on tape)...Btw, a Hardball producer in the know informs
The Briefing that a "newser" is a press conference with cameras and a "presser" is one
for print media only...You probably thought I knew that already but after eight years
in this town, I'm still learning stuff myself...

As you know, Chris was going to talk to Tom Ridge today but I'm not sure where this
stands now...Hopefully we'll do the interview, if not we'll do it again soon...

We'll talk to a couple of former FBI guys about the state of Homeland Security and the
hunt for Al-Qaeda in the B block...Don't be surprised if Emerson shows up near the top
of the show as well..

In the D block debate we'll ask the question: Could 9-11 have been prevented?

We'll also play the Norman Schwarzkopf interview in the e block..

If you're not sure which channel we're on, click here
http://msnbc.com/tools/newstools/n/msnbc_tv.asp  Some cable networks don't provide the
luxury of a channel locator, we do...

I like this Iraq piece...Rumsfeld's War...Smart and tough, Don Rumsfeld wants to take
the fight to Iraq. The hawk who's battling for Bush's soul.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/805140.asp

>From the Hardball Briefing mailbag...

Concerning my brief Tahoe sojourn for a wedding...

"Come on Bellone, you slacker.  You should have time to put out an adequate briefing
if I'm working at the XXXX HQ at 2:45 am...  And NOTHING Monday either?!!! For shame! "

Dear reader: If you got everything you were supposed to get down at 2:45 pm, you
wouldn't have to be working at 2:45 am!  Who's the real slacker?  Plus this, I gave
you a preview of Monday's show in Friday's Briefing...I also generously hot linked you
to MSNBC.com's homepage which has all the news you need...Thanks for being a valuable
Briefing subscriber

On the "urgent wedding" thing....

No, it wasn't my wedding nor was it a shotgun wedding as some of you have
suggested...It was a brother's wedding on a Tahoe mountain top scheduled in
mid-summer..."Urgent" was a bit of rhetorical flourish on my part...I lost a C-note at
Caesar's playing black jack and the slots...I had fun anyway...

Dominic Bellone, Hardball Briefing editor dude...

Fun Clinton news...

Washington Whispers: During a Little Rock Democratic meet-and-greet last month, our
tipsters saw a woman step from the receiving line and grab Clinton's private parts.
They say Clinton was shocked but went through with the picture-taking.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politics/whispers/whisphome.htm#quotetwo

New drug case for president's niece...Police say Noelle Bush had cocaine at Florida
rehab center (AP) http://msnbc.com/news/806038.asp

The State Department warned Americans to be especially vigilant around Sept. 11, the
first anniversary of the attacks on New York and Washington. (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1432131

About nine out of 10 Americans think terrorist attacks are likely to occur in the
United States soon, according to a poll published on Tuesday by the University of
Michigan. (Reuters)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020910/ts_nm/attacks_poll_dc_1&cid=1200&ncid=1200

Insight Mag: Special Report...Security Cracks at the White House...One year after the
Sept. 11 attacks the national focus still is on homeland security. From local banks to
city halls, officials frantically are working to make American institutions less
vulnerable to terrorist attack. http://www.insightmag.com/news/268014.html

Canada Rejects Strike On Iraq...Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien, echoing many
other world leaders, wants to see the return of U.N. weapons inspectors, not war. (The
Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59354-2002Sep9.html?referer=email

White House officials say they are encouraged that some European leaders are no longer
inflexibly opposed to U.S. military action against Iraq if Saddam Hussein continues to
snub U.N. weapons inspectors. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=544&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20020910/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq

Iraq rallies Arab states against attack...Countering U.S. efforts to build an
international coalition against Saddam Hussein, a top Iraqi official on Tuesday called
on Arabs to strike U.S. interests in the Middle East if Washington launched a military
attack against Baghdad.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/805226.asp

Sammon: President Bush telephoned world leaders yesterday to rally them against Iraq
as the White House bragged about putting some rhetorical "muscle" into a debate over
Saddam Hussein that it said had been neglected during the Clinton administration
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020910-12853387.htm

As it makes its case against Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, the Bush administration
has for now dropped what had been one of the central arguments presented by supporters
of a military campaign against Baghdad: Iraq's links to al Qaeda and other terrorist
organizations. (The Washington Post) http://msnbc.com/news/805847.asp

In an interview with Monitor editors, over a lunch of beef tenderloin in Boston,
Pakistani leader Pervez Musharraf has a warning for the United States: Any attack on
Iraq would likely ripple throughout the Muslim world, with potentially grave
consequences for America's war on terrorism. (Christian Science Monitor)
http://csmonitor.com/2002/0910/p01s02-wosc.html

Iraq wants business, not war, with the United States, its foreign minister said, while
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday joined European countries in saying Washington should work
through the United Nations to contain any possible Iraqi threat. (AP)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=716&e=2&u=/ap/20020910/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Iraq has called on Arabs to strike back at American lives and property if the US
launches a military attack against Baghdad. (BBC)

President Bush Monday told world leaders it will be the responsibility of the whole
international community, rather than the United States, to determine what kind of
regime should replace Iraqi President Saddam Hussein if his government is toppled by
U.S. military action, European diplomats told United Press International.
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20020909-071857-6813r

Military action against Iraq should only be undertaken if the United Nations
authorizes it, the Vatican's foreign minister said Monday in the first statement on
the issue by the Vatican. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=524&u=/ap/20020909/ap_wo_en_po/vatican_us_iraq_1&printer=1

Security high as anniversary draws near...U.S. military forces and private security
personnel are on edge, but the White House said Monday that there is no evidence that
terrorists are planning to strike again.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/804875.asp

The U.S. military began deploying anti-aircraft missiles at the Pentagon and bases
around Washington on Monday for an exercise to test a multi-layered defense of the
national capital region, defense officials said. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&ncid=716&e=8&u=/nm/20020909/ts_nm/attack_anniversary_missiles_dc

The Avenger http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/020910/161/2817j.html

The United States Navy on Tuesday released a warning to shipping in the Middle East
against possible attacks by the extremist Islamic group Al Qaeda on oil tankers in the
Gulf. (Reuters) http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=1432124

U.S. Deploys Artillery to Afghanistan For 1st Time...Army to Use Six Howitzers To
Protect Base in Kandahar (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58982-2002Sep9.html

Tape of alleged hijackers surfaces...Al-Jazeera video shows men studying flight
manuals (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.com/news/804392.asp

In Zhirinovsky, Hussein Finds a Russian Partner...Caustic Politician Opens Doors for
Business (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59644-2002Sep9.html

After months of work on a joint Congressional committee investigating the events of
Sept. 11, Senator Richard C. Shelby said he feared that Congress would adjourn before
all the facts are unearthed. As a result, he said, he would not oppose an outside
investigating commission. (NY Times)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=68&ncid=68&e=1&u=/nyt/20020910/ts_nyt/senator_shelby_faults_the_intelligence_agencies

American Muslims are struggling with their public image a year after 19 radical
Islamists attacked the United States, killing more than 3,000 persons. (The Washington
Times) http://washingtontimes.com/national/20020910-76644526.htm

Primary Primer Highlights from Tuesday's primaries in Arizona, Connecticut, Florida,
Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island,
Vermont, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia: (AP)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61063-2002Sep10.html

Orin: Two more members of Bill Clinton's team - ex-Attorney General Janet Reno and
former Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles - are at risk, as is Kennedy cousin Mark Shriver,
who's running for Congress. http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/56688.htm

U.S. Sen. Bob Smith and Rep. John E. Sununu accused each other of acting desperate on
the eve of today's Republican primary that will decide who faces Democratic Gov.
Jeanne Shaheen in this fall's Senate election. (Nashua Telegraph)
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/Main.asp?SectionID=25&SubSectionID=354&ArticleID=63949

On the eve of the New York primary, Gov. George Pataki's once-big lead over
presumptive Democratic nominee H. Carl McCall has been trimmed, but it remains in
double digits, a statewide poll reported Monday. (AP)
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-elect/2002/sep/09/090905908html

Write-Ins, Shoo-Ins: Primary Has It All....Washington area voters go to the polls
today, with Marylanders picking party nominees for Congress and county executive, and
D.C. voters deciding among candidates for mayor. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59308-2002Sep9.html

Former Attorney General Janet Reno compared herself to Harry S. Truman as her campaign
for the Democratic nomination for governor tried to shake off a nagging challenger and
earn a spot against Gov. Jeb Bush (USA Today)
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2002-09-09-primary_x.htm

Labor Day is supposed to be the start of the general election campaign, but this year
it seems to have heralded a season of bitter, intraparty feuds instead. Politics have
become especially personal in Illinois, Maryland and California. (USA Today)
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2002-09-08-feud_x.htm

Milbank's Notebook: No Crawfishing From a Unique Vernacular
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58985-2002Sep9.html

The latest Saudi Arabian public-relations campaign, directed at members of Congress,
claims that "people must understand that we are also victims of Osama bin Laden's
terrorist acts." (NY Post) http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/56684.htm

President Bush, his hand over his heart, appeared to fight back tears as the national
anthem played and America's week of remembrance began (AP)
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=716&e=4&u=/ap/20020910/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_sept__11

It's D-Day for the Domestic Diva. Congress will announce today whether it will
recommend criminal charges against Martha Stewart.  (NY Post)
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/56690.htm

Ashes to ashes, but not on E!...Anna Nicole Smith's late husband won't be making any
more cameos on her reality show. Jeannette Walls Delivers The Scoop.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/799010.asp

Reliable Source: Veteran Washington television news anchor J.C. Hayward, who in
February celebrated her 30th anniversary at Channel 9, faced down the station's
corporate management last week -- and won.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59348-2002Sep9.html

Rush & Molloy: Celebrities were supposed to disappear after Sept. 11. But, as much as
we've grown to appreciate real heroes, the merely famous are still with us. And, as
the anniversary approaches, humbled stars are also fumbling for words and meaning. "I
still feel like in a certain regard it just happened," says Gwyneth Paltrow.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/17652p-16737c.html

Opinion/Editorial

The Iraq ultimatum...Are inspections of Iraqi weapons facilities a viable alternative
to war? Philip Gordon, Martin Indyk, and Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institution
explore in Slate.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/805771.asp

Bennett: Teaching September 11...An atrocity creates opportunities to learn.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110002243

Cohen: War Without Evidence
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59592-2002Sep9.html

Landfield: The Trith About Judicial Appointments: It's Politics as Usual.
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/html/sl__the_truth_about_judicial_a.html

Helen Thomas: 9/11/02: A Different America...Changes In United States Not All For
Better http://www.thebostonchannel.com/helenthomas/1656734/detail.html

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

Mallard Fillmore http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19