For what it's worth, as a graduate student in mathematics, I often
found it veey useful to go back to the work of great 19th century
mathematicians as I was trying to master a subject. In my opinion, the
time that an idea was first introduced should not be the only criterion
by which we judge its usefulness today. In fact, it is sometimes a
useful exercise to look back at the ideas introeuced by the "old
masters", as we sometimes call them in mathematics.

Make no mistake, I'll be the first to argue that much of what we have
in VistA is dated and obsolete. I actually agree with you that there is
much that badly needs to be replaced. On the other hand, I also think
that there is much that is quite brilliant and powerful about MUMPS and
VistA. What we really need to do is appreciate what we have and
consider how best to move it forward. Maybe that will involve
continuing to use MUMPS (only), and maybe it won't. That's not the real
point. To put it bluntly, this has become a debate about ideology, not
ideas. What we need is ideas.

--- "K.S. Bhaskar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I do not want to get into the relational vs. non-relational debate,
> but
> I do want to take issue with the implication in your e-mail that
> VistA
> is obsolete just by virtue of being a product of the twentieth
> century.
>     There is in principle no reason for an enteprise scale software
> system to every become obsolete (unless, I suppose the need that it
> solves goes away, which is certainly not the case for VistA).
> However,
> what it requires to keep a product permanently viable is a commitment
> continual re-engineering.  Software needs to be maintained. Pieces
> and
> subsystems need to be replaced.  But the system as a whole can remain
>
> permanently viable - if there is a commitment to continual
> re-engineering backed by actions and follow-through, rather than mere
> words.
>
> De we raze cities - or abandon them and build new cities elsewhere -
> just because automobiles are invented?  Or do we re-engineer cities -
>
> which may involve tearing down city blocks here and there - to take
> advantage of a change in technology?
>
> -- Bhaskar

"The most profound technologies are those that disappear."
--Mark Weiser

====
Greg Woodhouse