From: Richard Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] persistence layers for VistA integration (was Re: [Hardhats-members] Rewriting CPRS in Java)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:48:23 -0800

Gregory Woodhouse wrote:
(....)

It might be a good idea to start out by defining what you mean by a true object store. I doubt seriously that we're all on the same page here.

Right ... good call. By "true object store" I mean a data store that is capable of storing a) entire objects (members and methods), and b) is able to handle entire trees of objects. The objects are manipulated through the normal conventions of a programming language (e.g. Smalltalk and Java) and not through some "intermediary tool" like SQL, JDBC, etc.

Object are updated simply by virtue of calling methods and setting members, just like MUMPS globals are automatically stored in the MUMPS data base whenever they are set to a value.

Richard