Mine is a synagogue library in a Conservative shul. When I first started out, I
was worried about security and had the library door closed on shabbat and other
holidays. Because it was closed, parents who brought their kids were desperate
for something quiet to occupy them and so an enterprising congregant set up a
book cart with donated extras for kids to read. But to me this felt like a
missed opportunity for the library and adults were begging for the library to
be open anyway.
Eventually I threw caution to the wind and also figured out a way for items to
be checked out on shabbat without writing and computers and so opened the
doors. Now (or at least before the pandemic), parents either hang out with
their kids in the library, or bring the library books to the sanctuary. They
see all we have to offer and usage improved.
In my opinion, the last thing you want is something competing with your space.
It's hard enough getting people to support a library. I wouldn't give anyone
the opportunity to say, "why do we need something professionally run when this
works well enough".
Rachel HausLibrary DirectorCongregation of Moses Fisher LibraryKalamazoo MI

    On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 01:59:23 PM EST, Lee Jaffe via Hasafran