From: Hasafran <hasafran-bounces+sseidman=northwestern....@lists.osu.edu> on
behalf of Lee Jaffe via Hasafran <hasafran@lists.osu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 4, 2022 11:31 AM
To: hasafran@lists.osu.edu <hasafran@lists.osu.edu>
Subject: [ha-Safran] Tiny library

Has anyone experience with a “tiny library” associated with their library or
host institution?  I’d be interested in hearing how it was implemented and
whether it enhanced or detracted from your library service, and how.

Our new synagogue director has proposed installing a tiny library box near the
building entrance. At first I was positive, seeing it as a venue for
off-loading unwanted donated books. Plus, I didn’t want to say no in my first
interaction with the new director.

But the other volunteers raised a lot of concerns about how it would be
managed, that it fall on us to review what was put in there, adding to our work
and potential headaches.

As I considered the proposal further, I asked myself what was the point,
whether this was the appropriate venue?   Why would you place a tiny library
100 feet from a real lending  library?   The tiny library movement was a
neighborhood initiative, informal sharing, a literary free box.  In that
regard, it doesn’t make (as much sense) outside a real lending library.

Or does it?  I want to be open-minded and not rain on the director’s proposal
out of hand. If there are good reasons to support this initiative, ones that
augment or complement the library program , or at least not detract from it,
I’d like to hear about it.  Alternative programs are also of interest.

I appreciate hearing about your experience.

Lee Jaffe

__
Ha-Safran Archives:
Current: