First, you might consider using our 180-area-per-hemisphere functional
parcellation (https://balsa.wustl.edu/study/show/RVVG), which is more
specialized to human cortex than a distance-based clustering would be.
Also keep in mind that vertices being close in 3D doesn't mean they are
related, they can be on the opposite side of a large sulcus - we use
geodesic distance for this purpose (crawling along the surface triangles).
Additional answers inline.

Tim

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Manasij Venkatesh <mana...@umd.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The number of vertices on the surface is of the order of ~60k (excluding
> subcortical regions). I wish to work in an ROI space (say 100 ROIs) by
> clustering the cortical vertices that are near-by. To do so, I need to know
> the co-ordinates of the vertices on the surface. I had the following
> questions regarding this:
>
> 1. Does the data in *.dtseries.nii correspond to the time series of the
> vertices after surface alignment? If so, which is the file containing the
> coordinates of these vertices?

Yes, the coordinates are in ".surf.gii" files.  You probably want
midthickness coordinates, but there are also pial and white matter
surfaces.  The MNI space versions are in MNINonLinear/fsaverage_LR32k, but
there are also structural space versions (no scaling or stretching from
distortion corrected scan data) in the T1w folder.

> 2. Do the vertices across patients correspond to the same region in the
> brain?

That is the purpose of registration, so fs_LR surfaces have this property,
yes.  The correspondence is better with MSMAll than with MSMSulc or
FreeSurfer.

> If this is true, shouldn't there be one surface file for all subjects
> after alignment? I'm wondering why there's a surface file for each subject.

No, surface registration does not do anything to anatomical shape.  After
registration and resampling of a subject's surface, it looks exactly the
same as before, it is simply that when we click on a point on one subject's
surface, we can now find a matching point on another subject's surface.
None of this requires altering the anatomical shape of any subject, so they
all still have individual surfaces.

One important reason for this is that many functional areas are not
strictly matched to nearby sulci/gyri (also, different subjects have rather
different folding patterns in a fair portion of cortex).  Thus, MSMAll
establishes correspondence based on areal features (myelination, visual
areas, rfMRI components, cortical thickness), which causes folding patterns
to not have as good correspondence across subjects as they would with
MSMSulc, which establishes correspondence based only on folding patterns.